Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Catching Up

Wow! It's been a week since I last blogged. And what a week it has been. Let's get caught up, shall we?

Starting with classes:
Monday marked the last day of Literature (A.K.A. the "D" class). I must say, it was a real struggle to get through that one. Particularly since I am not one of those people who think out of the box too well. I prefer those black and white, no shades of gray situations. So, needless to say, in a class where everything revolves around analysis and critical thinking- looking for that hidden meaning- I had my work cut out for me. I had my support group in place, however. A group of lovely ladies with which I chatted away, ranting about our grievances 'n' such. All in all, it turned out to be a great experience. One in which I got an A thank you very much. My only concern is that I now owe my first born to Google, or at the very least, a bucket of my blood. I bow to that entity and it's vast cache of knowledge.

Next up on my list of wonderful and exciting news: I got my first editing gig! A dear friend of mine, who just so happens to be a prolific writer, gave me the go ahead to edit a series she has been working on. Every evening I carve out a couple of hours to sit down and comb through her work of art. It's quite an experience I must say. One that only solidifies my decision to become an editor. Truly, this is the place I was meant to be. Now, applying my admittedly limited knowledge of graphic art apps and love of all things creative, I also took a leap and redesigned a few key elements in the opening of her book. I submitted the changes to her last night, crossing fingers and toes that she would love them as much as I did, and was relieved to find that she loved them, to which she told me she has the utmost trust in me to do my thing and make her already fantastic story into a polished masterpiece. I can't describe the feeling that comes with the opportunity to help out a friend, apply your own growing knowledge to a field you love, and getting such high praise. So, in an effort to express this feeling, I quote the infamous Jack Dawson, "I'm the king of the world!" Of course, I'd have to change that to queen, but you get the idea.

On the home front, my daughter's doctor told me this morning that she is growing like a weed. She far exceeds almost every other kid in her age group in height and weight. "Tall" as he put it. Apparently she is in the ninety-seventh percentile. Now, for those of you who don't know what that means: Ninety- seventh percentile simply means that only three percent of all children in her age group are bigger than her. This puts her at an estimated 5'8" as an adult. Why is that so great you might ask. Well, coming from someone who is the tallest in her family and a staggering 5'5" yet a veritable midget next to her all of her friends and extended family, it had always been a dream of mine to be taller. Now, I can live vicariously through my daughter! Height is always a coveted attribute when you are wedged into the middle of both extremes. So, as I head into those dreaded 30's and unlikely to have another growth spurt any time soon, I have to be content with adding a set of sexy pumps to make these stumpy legs appear longer. At least my daughter won't need to do that.

Last, but not least: I was lured into a writing group called Book Junkies, on Facebook. Now, I haven't been there long, but I have to say, these people are freakishly nice! I've never met so many people in one place that are so warm and welcoming. It's not a click or some haughty taughty group who thinks everyone there should worship them. No, instead, this group is about the closest thing you can get to a family on a community website. Needless to say, I am glad I joined. Time will tell if it is anything but what I have described, but I am fairly certain it is as awesome as I think it is.

All in all, it's been a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comment below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...