Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review of A Family Affair by Mary Campisi

Published: February 15, 2011
Publisher: Mary Campisi
ASIN: B004OL2OKK

Christine Blasksworth's father died on a stretch of icy road he had traveled hundreds of times, leaving her family at a loss. Upon the reading of his will, she finds that there may be more to his trips than originally thought. Deciding to do a little investigating of her own, Christine finds herself in Magdalena, New York, face-to-face with his dirty little secret: another woman and an illegitimate child. Naturally, she is furious, with the woman, the child, her father. Then, as she starts to learn more about this family and the small town they live in, she starts to wonder: who was the real family, hers, or theirs?

This one really caught me off guard. I loved the premise, which is what brought me to read it, and when I opened it, I can't say that I was sucked right in, but I wanted to see where it was going and how it would all play out. Plus, the writing was solid, the characters well-developed and each with a distinct personality that I found intriguing.

Once I got into it, I discovered a story that was heartfelt. The author has a way of telling something seemingly so simple, but infusing each moment with passion, tenderness, and a caring so deep that it had me a little choked up at times. I could see it, feel it, and that is what really makes a story shine at the end of the day. I wanted to hate the father, but in the end, could only see it from a perspective of, if not right, then not totally wrong either. I could sense the struggle of all parties involved to live the life they had, surrounded by lies and treachery, but bound by love, devotion, and duty. The ending wasn't neat and tidy, cleaning up all the loose ends, and I felt that it was more true to life that way. Not everything could be wrapped up and smoothed overnight. It would take work, but for the moment, with the way it did end, it left me with the feeling that things were falling into place and that, no matter what Christine had to face tomorrow, she had found her slice of happiness that her father had been struggling to obtain, without all the messy strings and unanswered questions.



A Family Affair can be purchase, for FREE, on Amazon Kindle here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comment below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...