Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

When is the best time to get creative?

"Creativity -- like human life itself -- begins in darkness." --JULIA CAMERON


Okay, I will be the first to admit that most of the time, as I sit down in front of the computer screen and my fingers hover over the keys, I am distracted. Anything interesting in the old email today? A new review? What's that article all about? I should read it. By the time I realize I have done absolutely nothing, I have wasted an hour (sometimes more) doing absolutely nothing. After a bit of reprimanding has been done, I get serious, open up the right file and just as I get my bearings and my thoughts come together...mommy duty kicks in, and we're back to square one. 

Is this how it goes for you?

My husband tells me he found a quote somewhere that claims creativity is best at night. I get to thinking about this, realizing I can draw some serious lines to this theory from my own experience. You see, I spend a good portion of the day struggling to reign in my thoughts long enough to put out a couple of lines, until I just have to walk away for a bit. In the evening, I tend to come back, put on some music, and try again. And you know what? It flows. 

Why haven't I recognized this pattern before?

I tried Googling it to see if this theory holds any weight, and I found people everywhere asking others the same question, saying that they seem to only be truly creative at night. Then I found an article in The Washington Post saying that if you are a morning person, research shows that you are most likely to be creative at night. On the other end of the spectrum, if you are a night owl, then your creativity should hit you during the morning hours. 

So, the question I pose is, which side do you fall on? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comment below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...